The healing abilities of animals are well documented and well known. Cats, dogs, rodents and even larger mammals like horses and donkeys are common fixtures at many hospitals and healthcare centers, and for good reason: they’re perfect at raising spirits and encouraging healthier healing habits. Therapy animals and pets are excellent tools that can be used to heal people suffering from physical ailments, as well as emotional pain.
There are several reasons why working with pets and trained therapy animals is a particularly adept healing tool. If you’re in the process of making funeral plans in Lake City, FL, you should rely on your pet for comfort throughout your time of loss. Spending time with your furry friend is a healthy and productive way to cope with your feelings of depression, loss and grief.
Here are just some of the ways that pets and trained therapy animals help people deal with the realities of losing a friend, family member or loved one:
- Unconditional love: The most important thing that pets bring us is unconditional love. Even when we’re feeling terrible, pets will continue to love us and want to be around us. This means that you can rely on your furry friend for comfort, even when you don’t feel like being around other people.
- Forced exercise: Pets need lots of exercise, just like people. Exercise produces serotonin, a hormone responsible for feelings of happiness. During the grieving process, it may be challenging to remember to give yourself the exercise you need. Having pets around the house, however, will help you get the necessary exercise.
- Intuitive reassurance: Dogs, in particular, are very intuitive when it comes to sensing emotions in the people around them. Most dogs and many cats are able to detect when you’re feeling down. They’ll respond by providing you with comfort when you need it the most.
- Pets reduce stress: It’s proven that being around an animal helps to reduce the levels of cortisol in your brain. Cortisol, a stress hormone, often occurs in elevated levels following the death of a friend, family member of loved one. Pets can help you slowly and naturally detoxify this harmful chemical from your brain.
- Constant companionship: Pets are always there for us, especially when we need them the most. This means that your pet will be there, providing you with companionship, regardless of the mental state you’re in. It’s important to have this round-the-clock companionship while you’re healing from a tragic event.
For nearly two decades, ICS Cremation & Funeral Home has been a highly trusted company offering assistance with funeral plans in Lake City, FL. We offer comprehensive funeral and life celebration services. We’ll take care of the most challenging aspects of end-of-life planning, so that you can focus on spending time with loved ones and healing. ICS Cremation & Funeral Home offers casket sales, cremation services, funeral planning services, obituary writing and more. Contact us today to learn more about our funeral planning services, and learn how we can help you navigate the grieving process.
Categorised in: Funeral Plans
This post was written by Writer